God Comforts - Why?

On my way home from work yesterday I saw a church sign. It said, "God comforts us so we can comfort others". My first reaction was, "no He doesn't".

I had a whole dialogue with myself about it. I had my mind set that He comforts us because He loves us and cares for us. Period. As a parent I comfort my children because I love them and I want to let them know how much I love them. That's why I wrap them up in my arms and hold them tight. Period.

Then I looked up the phrase and a scripture came up, 2 Corinthians 1:4

Now what do I do . . .

I suppose when I really think about it, I subconsciously expect that when I express compassion and care for my children, they will in turn show that to others. So while I comfort my children because I love them, I also comfort them with an expectation that they will share that with others.

So, I think the sign and I are both right. Bottom line? God comforts us, and sometimes I just need to be reminded of that.

Labels: ,