Thanksgiving Eve Musings

It is Thanksgiving Eve and I have much to be thankful for as tomorrow approaches. Several of my friends have been posting 30 days of thankfulness on social media and I've heard many conversations of thankfulness.

In the midst of this thankful atmosphere, I admit to having some sadness. I miss some of the past. I miss traveling out of state for this holiday. I miss my mother's pecan pies and long talks into the night. I miss a close relationship with some of my siblings and their families. Long ago I gave up my dream of "The Waltons", but I still miss the idea. I miss some of what was and some of what never was.

But then I can't help but think about what I am happy and thankful for. My husband and children give me great joy, and I am thankful for them. My husband is supportive of everything I do and encourages me to pursue life to the fullest. My children and I have never gone through the "shut out mom (or dad) stage". I'm thankful for good health. My knees might bother me from time to time and I don't move as fast as when I was 35, but everything works and the doctor has given me a clean bill of health. I'm thankful that I have a job I love. I work with some really great people, I get to be around college students all day which I enjoy, and I get to meet people from all over the world. I'm thankful for the extended family that lives close by and likes coming to my house for the holidays.

While I am at work today my daughter will make pecan pies based on my mother's recipe. My son will mow the grass for the last time this year in preparation for Christmas decorating on Friday. Today my husband will go buy a second ham because we don't have enough for leftovers with two college boys home for the weekend. Tonight I will prep my stuffing dish to participate in our annual "stuffing-off" competition. Tomorrow I will prepare two kinds of potatoes because my children requested them. Tomorrow I will laugh as everyone complains about the parade on television that doesn't seem much like a parade anymore.

Thanksgiving, it may change as life proceeds, but it still accomplishes its purpose. It reminds me to give thanks for all of my life.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Labels: , , , ,