Tuesday Thoughts

I've been thinking a lot lately about "getting old". I don't know exactly what this means, but I know that I'm not as young as I used to be.

I've noticed that some people work hard to avoid "getting old" at all costs, usually women it seems. Up to date hairstyles, makeup, and fashion are carefully attended to - often with the expressed sentiment of "not looking old". I've said that myself, just last week I was talking to a co-worker about wanting some new sandals and I expressly said that though I couldn't wear heels comfortably anymore I didn't want them to be "old-lady shoes".

I grew up in a time when it was expected that ladies would either wear their hair up or have short hair over the age of 40. As I approached that benchmark, I decided I was not going to observe that custom. Not because I thought it would make me look old, but because I don't think short hair looks good on me. In fact I've also decided to not dye my hair as it begins to gray.

I know people who don't want to be called Mr., Mrs., Sir, Ma'am, Uncle, or Aunt because it makes them feel old. When did it become such a bad thing to be a grown up or an adult?

I just want to be me, and embrace who I am at each moment and stage of my life.

Embrace yourself today!


Labels: ,