Innocent Until Proven Guilty? Not Anymore

I rarely weigh in on controversial issues because I hate conflict and I don't see very many examples of civil discourse on those kinds of matters. Today however I do offer a few observations in regards to the Grand Jury decision in Ferguson, MO. Let me say at the outset, I am of course sorry that Michael Brown died. The death of a young person is tragic, no matter what the cause. However, it seems to me that the people who are now rioting and the people who are crying 'injustice' did not want justice, they wanted vengeance. They were never going to be happy with anything less than an indictment for murder. Their minds were made up.

There is no longer a presumption of being innocent until proven guilty in this country.

At some point I have to trust that the twelve person jury made the right decision. They saw and heard evidence I will never see or hear. If you disagree with the decision, that's fine. We are a country that at least says we have the right to disagree. But don't pout, don't riot, don't use this as an excuse to throw a tantrum. Work for change, work for truth, but do it respectfully.

Labels: , ,