Malaria and Ebola . . . Do I Care?

I read recently that more people die in West Africa from malaria than Ebola - yet because of the panic about Ebola now, efforts to combat malaria (easily preventable) have just about stopped.

Some say it's because America has focused attention on Ebola, because it is now a "threat" to us. People are even making their own "prevention suits".

Nobody here worries about getting malaria, you don't see anyone walking around swathed in mosquito netting.

This makes me wonder about our motives in caring. Do we only care about the things that we perceive to threaten us? And does that constitute caring or just self-preservation? And why does even the idea of a threat throw us into a panic? Do we live so self-absorbed that we only pay attention if something touches (or threatens to touch) us? I would venture to say yes, most of us only care if it's on our front door step.

Does this mean I want to live with the weight of all the world's problems on my shoulders? Should I live in fear of all the bad things in the world? Or should I throw myself into every worthy and legitimate cause around the globe? I would say no, that would be too overwhelming and I would accomplish little to nothing being pulled in multiple directions. I believe in letting God speak into my heart the issues that I need to be actively involved in. But I also believe I should exhibit compassion and understanding to any issue that comes across my radar screen -whether it be domestic or foreign.

Most of all I believe I should not panic about any of it - whether it be Ebola, malaria, stock market declines, changing society values, or even the fact that Christmas is only 65 days away.

I will work my little piece of the puzzle of life, whatever it brings, and it will be enough.


Labels: , , ,