Mint, Tea and Summer Nights

http://www.capitalpress.com/idaho
/se-mint-harvest-081911
My earliest memory of mint is from when I was 4 and 5 years old. We lived in Bloomington, California in a three bedroom ranch. Along the fence in our back yard were mint plants, and each evening my mother would send me (and probably my older brothers) to go pick some mint for the iced tea. Though I didn't like tea, I did love the smell of the mint leaves slightly crushed between my fingers. I wonder why I never see mint put in tea now? Maybe it was a California thing and since I now live in the South it's all about sugar and lemon.

A few years later we moved to Nampa, Idaho. In the summertime we would go for drives in the evening and with the windows down (I don't think we had air conditioning) I would drink in the scent of the mint crops growing in fields all around. It was a wonderful smell (it was very helpful in killing the smell of the sugar beet processing plant which was NOT pleasant) and when I smell fresh mint now I always think about my childhood summers.

Maybe I'll grow some mint on the back deck this year.

M is for Mint / A to Z Blogging Challenge

Labels: , , , ,