Ham (and Pineapple Too!)

Have I mentioned that we didn't have a lot of money when I was growing up? Yet somehow when it came to food, my mother could make the cheapest of ingredients become delicious.  A special Sunday lunch at my house growing up was more often than not Sliced Ham and Pineapple, which is still my favorite way to have ham. My mother made it and as far as I know, was the only person in our sphere of friends who did. It's simple enough, and I've made it myself. Take a canned ham (yes, it MUST be canned - I think we always had Armour but now I buy Hormel Black Label), and slice with an electric knife (yes it MUST be an electric knife). Layer ham, brown sugar (dark please), and canned, sliced pineapple in a 9x13 glass (we had Corning Ware) casserole pan. Gently pour the pineapple juice into the pan taking care not to wash off the brown sugar. Bake for an hour at 350 degrees.  You can also do this in a crockpot which my mother did later in life, but the best way (as per my childhood) is in the oven. Serve with mashed potatoes and gravy and vegetable of choice. BEST MEAL EVER.

I think I know what I'm fixing next Sunday . . .

H is for Ham / A to Z Blogging Challenge

Labels: , , , , ,