Lessons Learned From the Knee

Since I hurt my knee (April 1), I have had much time to think. Here are some of the lessons I have learned (or am learning).
  1. Humility is Tough - I never thought I was that much of a control person, but I learned I am. Having to ask people to carry your cup of coffee, wash your underwear, and bring you all your meals for four weeks - that's tough. I was very happy when I could finally carry a cup of coffee.
  2. I Like Laundry - I miss it. I discovered I like doing the laundry. I haven't been able to because my laundry room is in the basement - and stairs are a no-no. I am looking forward to getting back to it.
  3. Frailty of Routine - I am disappointed in myself. I found that my routine is built like a house of cards - take out one card and it all falls down. I wish it were more like Jenga, where you can take out several components without the whole thing collapsing. In theory because I was forced to "sit", I should have accomplished so much in my writing - which I claim to be important to me. While I did blog (thank you A to Z Challenge), I did NO real writing on my book, articles, short stories, anything. In fact I didn't have anything to submit to my critique group the first part of May. Definitely an issue that needs more contemplation and then action.
  4. Importance of Friendship - I knew I had friends, but they all showed their love and support through this and it was very affirming. I am grateful for every card, every call, every email, every smile. I need to do more of that to my friends.
Lessons are only as good as what you do with them. I have discovered that while defining the situation is indeed the first step, it is only a first step. Without a second step it all goes to waste.

Have a good Friday, I just might venture into the basement to do laundry!

Labels: , , ,